Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An Introduction

This blog is getting started a lot slower than I had anticipated. The idea to start writing a blog came last week when I had pretty much nothing to do at work and nothing but video games on my mind (which is typical, even when I am busy doing work). Regardless, it’s time to kick things off.

Welcome to Netoge Haijin! This Japanese saying means “online gaming addicts”, literally translating into online game invalids. I believe we are a very intelligent culture capable of great things. We have the ability to come together as people of all races, nationalities and religions under a love of playing video games. This phrase is usually used in an ugly way, though. It is used when a person lets video games take over their lives, interfering with their school work, job or obligation to family and friends. I am no stranger to this side of gaming. I have lived through the ugly side of video game addiction (which I will talk about at length in future posts). I want this blog to help change this trend. Having a love for gaming can and is a good thing. By communicating with the outside world about video games, we are breaking out of our shells. I know it will be good for me to speak my mind and vent from time to time on this site, and hopefully help others in the process.

Not many people know of my love for video games and otaku (which will also become a main topic of discussion here, as it ties video games into other aspects of Japanese culture and vice versa). I guess you could say I was well-liked in high school and was friendly with pretty much everyone. I grew up in an area of New Jersey with a large population of Asian Americans making up a good portion of the student body. Most of my closest friends were (and still are) Asian, which is what I attribute my love for video games and Asian culture to. The rest of the kids I knew didn’t really know me as a gamer though. I guess they thought that I was into skateboarding and music, which is what you’d expect since I wore band T-shirts and kept my skateboard in my locker. In college, I don’t have as many friends, but still know a lot of people. Again, only my closest friends know of my true passions.

It’s time for people to get to know the real me, the true video game addict that has been the biggest, but most hidden, part of me for my entire life. It’s time for me to tell the world about my opinions on video games, the industry, culture, history and future.

Thank you for reading my first post! More will follow soon.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to have another blogger I know. It does start off slow, but the momentum gradually builds. Quite a personal post about what you love, I like :)

    ReplyDelete