Monday, March 8, 2010

Beautiful Katamari

I've been gaming pretty hard lately. Rented Beautiful Katamari along with ODST and beat it Friday night. What a fun time-sink.

Likes
  • Low stress factor - It really is just a great way to kick back after a long day and relax.
  • Quirky Japanese theme - Only the Japanese make games like this!
  • Sense of progression - As you move forward in the game, you start the levels with larger and larger katamaris, and the goal becomes larger and larger too. This is the obvious progression in any game. In Katamari, however, you go from only being able to pick up small things like bottlecaps and pennies to rolling up entire groups of people.
  • Sound track - Great mixture of many genres popular in Japan. I need to torrent the soundtrack =P

Dislikes
  • Controls - This is the first Katamari game I've played, so I didn't expect the control scheme to be the way it was. I was under the impression that you just pushed the ball the direction that the left stick was pointing, but it actually uses a combination of the two sticks that feels kinda clunky. I ended up just rolling the ball sideways most of the time because it was too much of a hassle to reposition the character.
  • Instructions - The game hardly ever tells you what you need to do right from the beginning. Maybe I didn't realize the level's requirements because I had never played another Katamari game before, but it certainly wasn't obvious for a first timer how big I needed to get my Katamari each level. It was only until I lost the level that the King of all Cosmos told me it was too small, and how large it needed to be.

Overall fun game. It was also really nice to have some sunny 45 degree weather to wake up to on Saturday morning when I had to return the games. Got to do a little skateboarding for the first time in a while :D! Just started Mass Effect 2 on Saturday afternoon - more on that soon.

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment